Tom Fitzgerald was born in Limerick in 1939. He studied at the Limerick School of Art & Design, where he later served as head of the sculpture department. He was a founder member of Limerick’s annual EV+a exhibition in 1977. Solo shows include A History of Silence at the Ashford Gallery, Royal Hibernian Academy (2006); The Ministry of Dust at Limerick City Gallery of Art (2004); a retrospective at Monaghan Museum (1999); solo shows at the Butler Gallery, Kilkenny and the Rubicon Gallery, Dublin (1998); Project Arts Centre, Dublin (1995); and Hendriks Gallery, Dublin (1985). He has participated in group shows in France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Hungary, New York and South Korea. He received bursaries from the Arts Council (1981, 86, 04) and the Department of Foreign Affairs (1984, 87, 92), as well as the Scott Tallon, Walker Award (1982) and the Oireachtas Gold Medal (1981). His public commissions include Leaf Litany at the University of Limerick (1998); Land Litany in the Irish Pavilion at EXPO 2000, Hanover (2000); The Singing Cosmos at St. Lukes Hospital, Dublin (2000); The Numbers Game at Limerick County Hall, 2003 as well as this work in, commissioned by Louth County Council in 2005.